Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Mommy Furies..

So my kid has reached a new level of infuriating today. She's developed the ability to throw purposeful fits in an attempt to get what she wants. Fits have been a longstanding problem for us. BAD fits. HOUR long, horrible fits. They are a symptom of our issues and are usually symbolic of a larger, unresolved, issue that sometimes SHE isn't even sure of. Usually she gets out of control of herself. She literally cannot cognatively control her behavior until we hit a breaking point. I can brush her and it helps and then we hit the crying portion and at some point we talk and I can play "Let Guess The Problem". After that a solution is come up with and after some bouncing and more brushing, the world is once again happy.

TODAY, that is sooo not what we had. Today she had a willful fit in an attempt to get out of something - specifically subtraction. The truly awkward part? She LOVES math. Adores it. Then decided she wasn't going to do it. She then attempted to mimic her "normal" pattern. But, given that she's.. HER.. it was an epic fail. Not even a close representation. She told me what she was going to do, ie "I'm going to run of in 3 seconds, Momma, I'm  going to ruuuun off. Momma. 1. 2. 3." Then was surprised when I told her to sit herself back down!

So after a rather lengthy ordeal that went on, and on, and well.. on. I talked to T1 about why she would suddenly think it was ok to try to have a fit to get what she wanted or get out of something. She then told me that she has her therapists (her OT and behavioral) convinced that it should work that way. Apparently, this coming week when I see these ladies (who have been working wonders with her) and asking them to STOP catering to these little "episodes".



But you know what fixes most bad days, even when they keep going and going?? Cuddling with a Super Puppy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment