Thursday, January 5, 2012

Yuck!

So, I've decided I'm done. With blood coming out of my sinuses. It's not pouring out, just.. Coming out. But it hurts. And it kinda makes me feel like I'm drowning in.. well.. blood in my sinuses. After 3 calls and 2 more visits over 2 days I FINALLY got the prescription issue at Target solved, but it also means it took an extra day to get antibiotics started. I guess I just have to wait for them to work at this point, but I don't *like* it.


HOUSEWIFE

The word "Housewife" has become a 4-letter word in our house. Especially when spat out by T2 as of late. The charming little chap has decided (and Oh SO happily shared in public, repeatedly) that "Momma is a Plain Ol' Housewife. She doesn't have a job and doesn't DO anything." The first time he decided to share this new wisdom of his, C took him and explained what a "Plain Ol' Housewife" was and that HE didn't think that's what *I* was - nor should T2 - and that it was rude, etc. Great. An appropriate response. We hadn't heard anything else from The Land of the Housewife until Tuesday at the Allergist (you know right  before The Target Incident ). I'm talking with the nurse about the dripping bloody sinuses and how I probably really should have some medication for that. He climbs in my lap and says to her "My momma is just a Plain 'Ol Housewife and can't even have a job. I don't think she even wants one."  Now, I loved the response from the nurse - who apparently gets odd comments from kids all the time- who silently giggled and did nothing but type. I looked down at my now not-so- precious child who go dumped on the floor and closed his mouth for him. No, I didn't smack the child (not that he didn't deserve it) but I did put my hand over his mouth and tell that boy to hush.

Now, I must point out that the boy received the LONGEST time out EVER when we got home based on general attitude and tone. Oddly, his mood and words have been surprisingly kind since then, but I do wonder if it's just some who is offended by the word "Housewife" let alone the idea what the boy considers what I do being a "Plain Ol' Housewife".  I guess I AM technically a housewife.

The definition is:


house·wife

[hous-wahyf or, usually, huhz-if for 2] Show IPA noun, plural -wives [-wahyvz] Show IPA, verb, -wifed, -wif·ing.
noun
1.
a married woman who manages her own household, especially as her principal occupation.
 
But then this as well:
 
1. Housewife  is offensive to some, perhaps because of an implied contrast with career woman  ( just a housewife ) and perhaps because it defines an occupation in terms of a woman's relation to a man. Homemaker  is a common substitute.
 
 
Now. Not to be confusing, C has never (if rarely) made me feel "less than" him because I stay home with T1 and T2. Economically, he IS capable of earning more and he just isn't suited to the daily ins and outs of the house .. crap.. He needs the routine of being AT work with people. I don't like people. I'm ok with that. But I have just as much education, skill training, etc as HIM.. But the kids don't SEE that because I use those skills to homeschool THEM, pay the bills, do his accounting stuff, and all the stuff here vs putting them in school and daycare to get paid to do it for someone else THEN come home and do it here too. 
 
 I guess the long and short of it, I suppose, is I shouldn't get too tied into what a 5 year old boy says about what I do. He also currently swears he's going to have kids, but NEVER EVER change diapers and never have a Jack-in-the-box toy in his house, ever. I've tried to convince him that perhaps his future spouse may not be so happy about his decrees, but he's really sure both those things are sooooo happening. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm very happy neither of my kids has ever pulled that sort of crap with me. I'm pretty sure if they didn't like me being a "Plain Ol' Housewife," they could darn well clean the house, fix all the meals, and clean the litter boxes :p

    But I'm heinous like that. Hope he changes his tune permanently. That would irritate me. (Also hope the antibiotics kick in soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. t2 is very smart, but I can't imagine that he could possibly understand or anticipate the amount of disrespect communicated with the remark. He may have heard it said with 'tone' somewhere and wanted to try it out, or was angry about somehting else when he said it. I know for a fact that he loves having you home and having you teaching him.
    My guess is that for him its a badge of pride that he gets to have you home, and wanted to share...while misunderstanding the nuance of the phrasing. It's like when they have to tell the clerk that they went poop in the toilet. Inappropriate, but just sharing how proud they are.

    ReplyDelete