Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Georgia

We are working on the States - learning a little about each one (the capitol, the flower, the motto, the state animal, the state bird, what the state is known for..) and we were doing Georgia today. T1 is responsible for MOST of the work, seeing as how T2 is just getting to the point of being able to read and write adequately and T1 can do both fairly proficiently. (Well, that and that silly age difference - but if you heard THEM bring it up there is no difference.)  I'm sitting with my laptop trying to find something that will make Georgia look exciting and fun (really all I found was a state that would KILL ME- but that's a different topic), and was asking them their questions at the same time so they could look through the library books to find the answers and write them down. I then got to "What's the state flower?" T2 is, at this point, in his underwear (again - it's 2 pm at this point), dangling upside with his legs flopping about down in the corner of the couch doing a headstand. He states happy as can be "A rose. I don't know what kind of rose though, but a rose of some kind."

Now, I'm sure there are a TON of people who think the memorization of facts is very important. That the capitols, birds, flowers etc have to be memorize by state and be regurgitated for all times - *I* am not one of said people. I figure that unless the world comes to a immediate end and/or zombies attack that's what the internet, smartphone, iphones, and the like are for. It IS important to know the states, about where they are on a map,  geographically what they are next to, be familiar with the capitol so if someone SAYS it you don't look like an idiot. So I Google the answer because T1 has the books and I don't know what the flower is right off the top of my head. The state flower of Georgia is the Cherokee Rose.  T1 had no idea and she remembers almost everything she finds interesting. Just another reason I don't doubt the weird things my kids say even when they are upside down, in their underwear, talking on and on about roses - Those weird little monsters of mine are usually right when it comes to stuff like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment