Friday, February 3, 2012

Banal Life..

Someone posted this: The Real Groundhog Dog Day:A Mom's Life on Facebook the other day. In short it calls every day in the life of a mom- the Bill Murray's Groundhog Day. I can see the author's point of view. To a point. But only to a point. Mostly - I think this woman is boring and makes it banal. Yes, laundry ALWAYS must be done, but her kids (and mine) are old enough to help and do it. Get them to. Dishes must always be done, but once again, the kids are old enough to help. 

I think the key to making the everyday NOT banal, boring, tedious, painful, boring and trite? Not let it be. If you have multiple kids how CAN it be? I have nary a day go by when one of the little darlings not do something absolutely ridiculously hilarious either on purpose or accident. No, that doesn't get the laundry done, but while I am laughing (usually in the other room to protect their poor, delicate feelings) they can haul the laundry and load it up.  Like this morning 1 & 2 decided (while eating their cereal, of course) that we needed to have cake for the Super Bowl. What kind? Angle food cake. But it needs to be "realistic". Realistic of what, I ask. (Because now I'm just curious as heck what could you possibly make an angle food cake possibly realistically into..) After much debate between them, they decide it should not be a football, because angle food cakes are round. Nor should it be a football field. They've settled on.. A basketball. They want to make "a realistic basketball for the Super Bowl out of Angel Food Cake". I'm sorry, but anyone who calls THIS a "banal" day is out of their mind. 

Sure, dishes will still have to get thrown in and out of the dishwasher like everyone else. I still have to feed and make dinner. But I don't have to make the SAME dinner I made yesterday, if *I* get bored - like she clearly is I can go and get creative and unbored the place. I think perhaps she's mistaking


rou·tine

[roo-teen] Show IPA
noun
1.
a customary or regular course of procedure.
2.
commonplace tasks, chores, or duties as must be done regularly or at specified intervals; typical or everyday activity: the routine of an office.
3.
regular, unvarying, habitual, unimaginative, or rote procedure.
 
with 
banal  (bəˈnɑːl)
 
adj

lacking force or originality; trite; commonplace
 
 
 
 
You can have a routine, a very strict one in fact, without it being banal. Her disillusionment with her own life isn't commonplace. I very rarely find myself going "Oh, me. If only I wasn't so bored with this routine!" And we have a very strict daily schedule and routine - especially with T1. Tedious some days, yes. But it's not "boring". It's not "commonplace" and I don't think anyone could label anything my kids do as "trite". If only they would be for a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment