Thursday, December 18, 2014

Fuming with Outrage

I very rarely actually attain "fuming" stage. I'm there. I've been sick for months. I've had to Epi Pen myself  7 times since the beginning of  October after NEVER using an Epi Pen. We've been searching for the cause of the elevated allergic state: viruses, different soaps, different food products, different additives in vitamins, ect. Until yesterday we've been coming up empty handed.  Cheese. The Shredded cheese that Walmart sells contains an antibiotic called NATAMYCIN. It is well known in my family that I am VERY allergic to anything in the MYCIN family of antibiotics. It causes anaphylaxis, throat swelling, eye swelling, severe stomach upset, ill feelings, among other issues.

I am fuming because I bought some pre-grated cheese from Walmart. I checked the label and the only warning it had was "Milk". Not an antibiotic. There are several manufactures that are using this antibiotic instead of other types of preservative so they can advertise as "Preservative Free". Kraft Singles are another such example. Makers are saying that it is a naturally occurring antifungal (some sources are saying found in soil, there for natural) so it is ok to advertise the products as "Natural" and "Preservative Free".

Only select products contain this extra additive. While Walmart's pre-shredded store brand cheese contains it, their same kinds of cheeses in blocks - do not. As mentioned above even the sliced cheeses aren't escaping unscathed. While I don't really want to be a cheese monger, it looks like I'll be getting to know my cheeses a lot better know than I have been. Surely I can get a good deal on a grater.




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete