Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summertime Ice Cream

Today we made a new (to us anyhow) ice cream treat. Because of my allergies, the kids don't get to have a lot of commercially prepared novelty food items because 90% of them have something I'm allergic to in them - usually nuts. We are a nut free household so when we were watching How It's Made I started to realize just how many junk food items my kids have never heard of. Today, we tackled the ever popular summertime treat Drumsticks.


Magic Shell, sugar cones, Braums Mint Cholocate Chip ice cream and we were good to go! 


Coat the inside of the cones with Magic Shell. After the first tasting, it's been decided that this layer isn't thick enough, so go heavy here if you like a nice thick chocolatey cone. I must admit I totally stole the egg carton holder idea from someone's Pintrest post and I'll post that as soon as I can remember where I saw that. 


I lapsed on the photos for the wrapping of the cones in wax paper and the cramming of ice cream, it was getting melty. But, this is what it looks like AFTER it's been in the freezer for a while and it no longer oozing all over the kitchen counter. 


And after the Magic Shell as been poured on top and allowed to freeze for a while and been unwrapped. 


The boy enjoys it. He particularly likes that it's Mint Chocolate Chip and not that "plain ol' vanilla".


Now they're just being hams.





The weather has been really nice in the mornings too. They gather a giant (and I mean GIANT) laundry basket of stuffies and go outside and play hide and seek. Or make them slide. Or throw them at each other. Or just snuggle them.




2 comments:

  1. Super fun and great pictures!!! Miss those monkeys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kids are hilarious... and ooooooo homemade Drumsticks. You are an awesome, clever mom.

    ReplyDelete