Friday, September 10, 2010

During Our Days..

So I'm becoming more and more aware that we are not normal.. We are SO not normal we are "ABnormal". To the point both kids are starting to notice it, point it out, and accept it as part of who they are. They've noticed they are the oldest/biggest kids out during school days, that no one else has one of these:



In their bedrooms, no one else is bothered by noise (and wears ear plugs to help combat this at birthday parties, the circus, playgroups etc), colors, people and so on.. But, honestly, I don't think that either one of them care. I think *I* may be the only one who is reluctant to give up them being "normal", mostly because it would be easier for them in the long run. It would be easier for T1 to go to regular school, but she cannot stand it. She just can't. And then we wouldn't be able to do this all day:


And there is something to be said for being able to build people and sculptures out of marshmallows and toothpicks then being Godzilla and well... Eating them.. And being able to count it AS school.

Or analyzing on the way to the grocery store why we are getting rain from a hurricane that is REALLY far away.. (Anything past 3 blocks away is "really far away".)

Or being able to make blueberry muffins and call it math because you have to measure stuff.

And I can gaurantee her handwriting has improved 1000% faster than it would in real school and we only work on it MAYBE 5 minutes a day...

But, like any parent that's worth having kids, I still worry if I'm forever screwing my kid(s) up. Clearly broke her by sending her to Pre-k (on some odd level, though if she wasn't predetermined to have problems, she never WOULD have had problems..) It's the old quandary of  is what we are doing fixing it, or making it worse..

1 comment:

  1. Yay self-doubt! I had a lot more of that when M1 first came home than I do now. Now I know he's MUCH happier and more well-adjusted than if I had pushed him on through at school. I'm reasonably sure he'd have been expelled by now and would be at home, anyway, buuuut..... ;) You're doing fine!

    ReplyDelete